Job Portal is a web-based recruitment management tool for the enterprise.
Job Portal of an Organization
Job Portal is a web-based recruitment management tool for the enterprise. It helps organizations define job requirements, schedule interviews, manage candidate resumes, maintain interview feedback, search jobs, and search candidate applications.
The technical approaches used to build the Hiring Application include:
- ASP.NET MVC 4.0: Used to build the web application. ASP.NET MVC 4 is a framework for building scalable, standards-based web applications using well-established design patterns.
- HTML5 and JQuery: Used to create interactive user interface.
- Window Azure for hosting: The application is hosted on Azure platform. It is using different Azure features like Storage, Database and Cloud service.
- SendGrid account for sending email alerts to users.
- Cloud Service: Used to interact with the database, libraries and storage account.
- Mobile Scheduler service: Mobile Scheduler is used to send emails to the users on scheduled date and time. It interact with the Cloud Service to send emails.
- Corporate Active Directory for application administration
- Corporate Active Directory and Windows Azure Active Directory for synchronization of application users
- Corporate Active Directory accounts for internal users and registered accounts for external users
- Window Azure Table Storage: Azure Storage is used to store reference and transaction data.
- Window Azure Blob Storage: Used for saving resumes
- Lucene.Net for indexing on blob storage
- Microsoft Open XML for processing .docx files to enable search by Lucene
Development of a Job Portal with Windows Azure Storage blob (Blob storage is a robust, general purpose Windows Azure storage solution), itself proved to be a technical challenging task.
- Initially Window’s Azure account was created for developing Azure Database, Active Directory, and to deploy cloud services.
- For creating the Azure Database, storage account and storage account we have to develop an automated script.
- One of the major challenges in the process of development was implementation of the Windows Azure Blob Storage for resumes. Windows Azure Blob storage is a service for storing large amounts of unstructured data that can be accessed from anywhere in the world via HTTP or HTTPS.
- For the creation of this web based application, MVC architecture was used.
- Key objective of the application was to manage the content of the resume, interview schedules, job openings etc.
- For corporate user authentication was used and for external users customised login form was especially created.
- The Application is an independent website that can be hosted on Azure. There are two types of users who can access the website:
- Internal users (from a Corporate Active Directory)
- External users (registered in a database)
- Using Asp.net MVC 4.0, a career site was developed that not only showcased job openings but also illustrated all the other activities carried out in hiring process.
- Cloud storage is an excellent way to manage enormous amount of data. So Microsoft’s Windows Azure table Storage was used to store references and transaction data of the application.
- This application successfully provided corporate users with a great time saving feature to login into the application simply by just using their Corporate Active Directory ID.
- On the other hand the application provided the external User the feature to sign-up into the application by simply filling a registration form with their correct details.
- Finally the Job Portal based on Windows Azure was a great success, which covered the full cycle of hiring activities including functions like create openings, Search for applicants for openings, schedule candidate interview, provide feedback after interview, search job, view interview schedule and view interview feedback.